The leader of the Quebec Conservative Party has spared no effort to call on the Quebec government to end its $5-7 million subsidy to the Los Angeles Kings hockey team.
“It’s insulting for a teacher to be told that the government doesn’t have a penny more to raise her salary, but has millions of dollars for a multi-million dollar American professional hockey team to train at the Videotron Centre,” insisted the leader of the Quebec Conservative Party, Éric Duhaime, in a press release in on Wednesday.
The latter thus condemned the excessive amount that the Quebec government announced it wanted to allocate to enable the arrival of the Los Angeles Kings team to the Videotron Center in Quebec in October 2024.
“It is rude to note that the Legault government is giving more than $5 million to the Kings, while the Montreal Canadiens were willing to come for free,” he added in writing.
The announcement had already sparked fierce reactions on Tuesday, when several MPs took the floor to voice their opposition.
“CAQ is passing the buck to the NHL, not the people who are fighting. Yes, I love hockey. But not at this price,” complained Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, the parliamentary leader of Québec solidaire.
“Meanwhile, the CAQ is terminating the ESSENTIAL Regional Air Service Maintenance Assistance Program. These are very similar amounts. The government pays for the kings’ trip to Quebec, but cuts the wings of regional air transport. I am speechless,” said Joël Arseneau, PQ representative for Îles-de-la-Madeleine.