College football: The Carabins return to the Vanier Cup

MONTREAL – The Université de Montréal Carabins dominated the first half to defeat the Western University Mustangs 29-3 on Saturday afternoon in the Uteck Cup.

Montreal scored 24 points in the first half and won the trophy for the third time in its history and first since 2019.

The Carabins will participate in the Vanier Cup for the fourth time and try to win the highest honors in Canadian college football for the first time since 2014.

Their opponents are still unknown. X-Men University of St. Francis Xavier and the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds will compete for a spot in the Mitchell Cup later Saturday.

The Carabins’ defense taught the offense in front of them another lesson after limiting the Laval University Rouge et Or to just six points in the Dunsmore Cup last week.

Bruno Lagacé, Nicolas Roy and Louis-Philippe Gauthier all three passed the ball to Mustangs guard Evan Hillock.

Harold Miessan and Jeremiah Ojo each caused a fumble, Christopher Fontenard recovered two and Roy recovered another fumble. The Carabins also had five sacks and eight tackles for loss.

Last week, Miessan was named Quebec Student Sports Network defensive player of the year, while Fontenard was named lineman of the year.

Quarterback Jonathan Sénécal, the athlete par excellence in Quebec college football, completed 21 of his 31 passes for 228 yards in the air. He threw a touchdown pass and two interceptions.

Hillock saw 15 of his 29 attempts through the air caught for 212 yards to go along with his three interceptions.

On the cap wheel

Just like last week, Montreal’s defense started the game strong. After the Mustangs picked up two first downs, Roy intercepted a Hillock pass to put his team back on the possession.

The visitors responded in kind through Jacob Saunders, but Sénécal returned a few minutes later.

The Carabins quarterback distributed the ball well to advance his offense and put the finishing touches on it by joining William Legault in the end zone for his team’s 7-0 lead.

The defense showed itself again near the end of the first quarter. Lagacé abandoned his pressure to dive and intercept Hillock’s pass, setting the table for Philippe Boyer’s 20-yard goal.

The Mustangs tried to create things offensively, but Miessan and Fontenard joined forces and returned the ball to the “Blues”.

Even if Marco Iadeluca’s troops couldn’t take advantage, the offense returned to the field on the next drive, after an interception by Gauthier. Boyer ended the offensive series with a precise shot from 25 meters.

Sénécal also tried to force things a bit and saw Jackson Findlay intercept a floating pass. However, Western University’s offense did not stay on the field for long.

After some positive plays by the Mustangs, Ojo forced a fumble and Fontenard was again in good position to get his hands on the ball. Carl Chabot gave the Carabins a 20-0 lead when he ran the only yard that separated him from the end zone.

The Mustangs weren’t at the end of their troubles before returning to the locker room at halftime. Roy recovered a fumble in enemy territory, allowing Boyer to make a 19-yard field goal.

Greg Marshall’s men showed signs of life in the third quarter. In no time, they advanced deep into the Montreal zone and Brian Garrity scored from 21 yards.

Boyer did the same, from 42 yards out, to give the Carabins a 27-3 lead. The Mustangs conceded a safety touchdown to seal the final score.

Source link

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *